Saturday, June 13, 2009

Finish Lines


(Amy) We started off our Saturday with a 5K race in Norwalk.  It was a beautiful morning and the race was through a very quaint neighborhood.  Dave and I really had not prepared for this race and just thought it would be something fun to do today.  We had a great time but we both are feeling very sore tonight!















Tonight was the end of year celebration for the Teach For America program.  This year marks the end of Dave's two year commitment to the organization.  Dave has given so much of his time, energy, and talents to his students and the results have been remarkable.  His class scored an average of 20% higher than their peers in the school district on the state math exams.  Some of Dave's kids have improved their reading levels by 2 or 3 years in the space of one school year!  It can be heartbreaking to know the struggles these kids and their families have, but it makes such a huge difference when they have a teacher who has high expectations and believes that they are capable of meeting them.  I felt so proud of Dave tonight as he and his fellow teachers were honored for the work they have done. 

3 comments:

Jay and Emily said...

I am so proud of you Dave! I'm sure the kids are going to miss you so much. I know you made a difference in their lives. I'm sad it's over! I liked hearing your stories. :) That's fun you guys ran the 5k. We just did the Springiville one. We didn't prepare either but it's still fun. Love you guys!

DJ said...

5K? I'm impressed! It sounds like you have a great husband Amy. It is so fun to have you as a blog friend.

JoDee said...

Congrats to you both! What a big year its been for you. Can't wait to see what new adventures head your way.