Thursday, September 24, 2009

Willy


I received some bad news this morning.  My parents' dog Willy, who has been a member of our family since I was 16, was found to be full of cancer.  After consulting with Willy's vet and a canine oncologist, my parents were informed that the cancer would not respond to treatment and due to its likely spread to his brain he would soon begin suffering seizures and other problems.  We would never want Willy to suffer like that.  So, it was decided that he would be put down today.   My heart is just broken and I wish I could have taken one last walk and spent some time with Willy.  In my family our dogs are considered a real member of the family and Willy has been a wonderful friend and companion these many years.  He was such a happy dog and was absolutely silly as well.  My dad always called him "Wacky Willy!"  I'm so grateful for many treasured memories of Willy, he has added so much to my life and to our family.  He was a very gentle, sweet dog and he loved to just play.  He loved to be with our family and would always want his paw on your leg or hand when you were sitting by him.

Willy on a hike with my dad one year ago.


I'm so grateful for the time that we had with Willy, he will be sorely missed.

10 comments:

Kristie said...

Amy, my heart is broken for you. I couldn't finish reading the post or I would have broken down in tears. I know how dogs are apart of the fam-- and Jon and I send my sympathy to you. Good news is that he is now in heaven with Jon and my dogs that have gone on before. I'm sure they are all best of friends by now.
Sorry for your loss. Wish we could do something more for you.

Lindsey said...

I'm so sorry Ames! I wish I could be there with you. I love you!

DJ said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family. Our dogs are so much a part of our families and it is hard to lose them. We sure love you and your family!! You have blessed our lives.

Ben said...

So sorry to hear about Willy. I think that you talked more about him in high school than any other topic, perhaps, so he felt like a part of our circle of friends as well. :) He certainly lived life to the fullest!

Emily said...

So sorry to here about Willy. I still miss our family dog from time to time now that she is gone.

Charles and Carrie said...

Those are some cute pictures of Willy. I need to post my memories of him as well.

Jay and Emily said...

That was a great post Amy! Aren't you glad we convinced mom and dad to get him? We sure had a lot of fun with him! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Amy - thanks so much for doing this post about Willy. We sure miss him and yes - we are so glad that you and Emily convinced us to get another dog - and especially that we got Willy. Mom and Dad

Jessica said...

I feel so bad for you Amy. Especially since you couldn't be there for the very end. Willy was quite a character and your family has quite the entertaining stories!! He sure had his crazy side. he he. I hope soon the pain will go away and all you will have left is those hilarious, laughing memories!

Jenn said...

Awww . . . Willy. We will miss him too! I will never forget your fondness for him. So sad to hear about him moving on . . .