Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Good Night's Rest

Josh has had his struggles with sleeping.  For the first three months of his life he spent most nights in our bed with us.  We all slept but it wasn't our idea of an ideal arrangement.  After that we tried to get him to sleep in his crib by trying to soothe him in his crib without picking him up.  We made some progress, Josh was sleeping in his crib but only for 2 hours or so at a time.  Last week we seemed to be regressing, Josh was only sleeping 45 minutes at a time and he would wake up crying and mad (I can't say I blame him, how miserable to not be able to sleep!).  So, last Sunday night we decided to let Josh "cry it out" and see if that helped him.  It was really hard the first night he cried for 25 minutes, but once he fell asleep he slept for a record 4 hours!  It was amazing how quickly he improved from there.  Now he typically just whimpers for a minute or two and then he puts himself back to sleep, he sleeps up to NINE hours at a time, and all of us feel happier and more rested in the morning!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I was SO happy to read this post! Hooray! I knew your day would come . . . and 9 hours is WAY better than my boys ever did at that age. Phenomenal. You guys deserve it :)

Tammy said...

You did it! I can't believe that you didn't tell me this news the moment I saw you today! I'm sure those first 25 minutes were unbearable at the time, but it all pays off - for Josh and for you. HOORAY!!

Rodney said...

Congrats to you guys and Josh!! yay for sleep! crying it out is hard at first but it's well worth all the worries. I'm kinda jealous though because my kiddos wouldn't sleep that long until they were a year at least. Ugh.

Jay and Emily said...

OH MAN!!! That is soooooo awesome Amy! I am waking up exhausted this morning ... like every morning. :) But soon that will change ... I hope. But good job to guys for doing it. I am so happy Josh is sleeping so well. I bet you guys love your free time. Love you guys!

Marian said...

How glorious! It is the hardest thing in the world to listen to your baby cry it out, but when they sleep for you it is the most glorious thing in the world. Good job sticking it out! It's too bad little guys just don't know what's best for them!