Saturday, September 17, 2011

Farewell New Haven

We packed up and moved from New Haven to Philadelphia on July 31st (the same day as our fourth anniversary--but don't worry, we made sure to celebrate on a later date!).  It was really difficult to leave so many wonderful friends that we love in New Haven.  I still feel a sort of hollow feeling inside when I think about that chapter of our lives being closed.  We had so much happiness packed into the four years we lived in New Haven and also a fair amount of adventure, learning, and personal growth.  I just love New Haven and its people, it will always be a place I think about with fondness.  If you are one of our New Haven friends reading this you should know that Dave and I love and miss you so much and are so grateful for the impact you had on our lives!

During our last days in New Haven we tried to take pictures of as many of our favorite places that we don't want to forget as we could.  Here are a few:
Ahhh Price Rite...how would we have survived without you?  When we first moved to Connecticut we had some serious sticker shock every time we went grocery shopping.  Then one blessed day Tammy Mumford told us about Price Rite.  We were hooked from our first shopping trip.  Sure, it doesn't have shelves and they don't have free bags for your groceries, but with all the money you save on food you don't even notice such trivial things.  A word to the wise though, avoid shopping near the beginning of the month when Food Stamps are issued...I once waited in line to check out for well over 30 minutes due to the high volume of Food Stamp shoppers.


The unit I worked on at the hospital, Verdi 3 East, was without a doubt the best work environment I have ever been in.  Combine fabulous coworkers, interesting and rewarding work, and a supportive manager to boot and you get the best job I ever had!  I worked full-time as a Patient Care Technician (similar to a Nurse's Aide) when we first moved to New Haven; while I was in nursing school I continued to work 20 hours a week.  As a brand new Nurse my coworkers really watched out for me and helped me get my feet under me.  I will never forget some of the crazy and scary moments, like when my patient developed Flash Pulmonary Edema when I only had been off orientation for two weeks.  Nor will I forget the crazy conversations my coworkers and I would have at 3 in the morning  (I worked night shifts as a nurse). Simply put, this job was fabulous and it gives me a great satisfaction to think that I was able to support our family so well for the two years I worked as a RN while Dave finished his Master's Degree.

The New Haven First Ward meets in this beautiful building on Trumbull Street.  Our ward was an amazing blend of people from all backgrounds.  I felt such a solidarity with the people in our ward.  Many of us had moved away from our families so we really relied on each other for support and help.  There were so many great examples of sacrifice; our Bishop was a PhD student at Yale with five children and a ward with a lot of needs and challenges. He truly gave his all in serving our ward, and we are so grateful to him and his family for all they have done for us.

Before we moved, Josh earned this cute T-shirt from the New Haven Public Library for reading 10 hours this summer.  He loves having stories read to him so he earned his little shirt in no time!

Some of my coworkers had a going away party for me...I really love this bunch so much!  

The night before we moved, we went to BAR for our favorite thin-crust mashed potato pizza one last time.  Josh loved the mashed potato pizza too, he has good taste!

Josh sitting atop a stack of boxes on the day we packed the truck.

After we finished packing the truck our friends the Peterson's had us over for an over-the-top delicious barbecue.  Josh loved eating the watermelon of the rind!

My boys at the wheel of the HUGE 26-foot UHaul truck we rented for the move.  David drove the truck, and I followed him in the Corolla with Josh.  I was so nervous to drive on the George Washington Bridge, but everything went perfectly on our drive from New Haven to Philadelphia.  Thank Heaven!  :)

8 comments:

Justin, Kalee, Jackson, Ava and Gabriella Peacock said...

How exciting! Congratulations about law school. What a huge achievement! Justin is actually in Philly right now for a conference. We too will always have a special place for New Haven. There is no other place like it. Good luck with your new adventures!:)

L. P. said...

I understand completely with the hollow feeling after moving from one place for a few years and ending that chapter. We just went through it too. But I am sure you are enjoying the next chapter and good luck with it.

JoDee said...

I'm still bummed we didn't get to say a goodbye before you left. It was so fun sharing this area with you...So excited for this next adventure you're having!

Dionne said...

Moving isn't easy, as far as we're concerned -- even if it is for good reasons :) You two are friendly folk, though. Great post, Amy.

Jenn said...

Aw . . . this post makes me a little teary, thinking of you leaving this little chapter of your lives. I have loved getting to see and be a tiny part of your New Haven adventures. Yes, that mashed potato pizza is amazing! And I know you guys have just been such a strong influence on the people in your ward and community. New Haven will miss you! A part of me feels like you guys belong there . . . I wonder where you'll end up after this next chapter is over!

Oh, and the Philadelphia temple looks beautiful. That's another fun place to live! Can't wait to hear and see more about it.

Lori said...

Ahh, Price Rite! It has a special place in my heart too, and so far I've found no German equivalent. I hope Philly is going well for you!

Tammy said...

Love all the farewell New Haven pictures. We miss you guys so very much!! Philadelphia isn't far away, but it's lots further then down the street! I'm glad we all got together for that last minute picnic before we headed out.
And yes! So exciting to have the Philadelphia temple right there! We hear the Hartford one is going to be be built in Farmington, so we are feeling pretty excited that Nathan works in Farmington and that is where we've been house hunting!

Jay and Emily said...

I can't wait to see pictures of Philadelpia! Love you guys so much!