Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Block Island

(Amy) Dave and I feel like we spent two days in heaven while we were on Block Island Monday and Tuesday.  We went as a late celebration of our first anniversary and had a blast!  Here's the rundown of what we did while we were there:

We ferried ourselves and our bikes out and arrived at Block Island at 9:00 AM Monday morning.  We first checked in at our place (The Seacrest Inn) and then hopped on our bikes and headed to the beautiful Southeast Lighthouse.   










We rode our bikes a little further to a lookout with some steps down to another beautiful place....



















.....The Mohegan Bluffs.














There also was a fantastic beach there with beautiful sand; Dave and I set up our towels and relaxed here.













We both did some reading and I also did a little napping in the warm sun.















Dave also got in the ocean and was able to do a little body surfing.  Such a fun spot!














We just rode our bikes around without any agenda and saw a lot of fun houses, the island's cemetery, and the Block Island State Airport.   They have a fun diner there.  Several people (and some dogs) were passing the time watching the small airplanes take off and land!











We loved the salt water taffy we bought at this place so much that the next day we made a special trip back to get some more! 












We rode our bikes to several smaller beaches.  We were the only people at this one, it was so peaceful.















We did some more reading and this time Dave took a nap!
















In the evening we went downtown and did some shopping and had a delicious dinner topped off with dessert at The Ice Cream Place.  Back at our hotel we watched Pride and Prejudice together before calling it a night.  Talk about a perfect day!














Tuesday morning we rode our bikes to the northern tip of the island to see North Shore Lighthouse.  The island ends in a sandbar where the waves crash from both directions.  Check out the video below to see how amazing this place was!












I really like this picture of Dave standing at the junction of the waves.















We took a moment to stop at this labyrinth, which you are supposed to walk through and contemplate your journey here on earth.  Kind of a random thing, but it was interesting and neat.












Another beautiful beach, we're pretty sure this was Scotch Beach.  It was very picturesque here and the water was beautiful.  We both got in the water and read and relaxed on the beach some more.










We ate lunch at this great place called The Oar.  The place is decorated with oars all over the ceiling and walls.  They have great food too!













I loved the beautiful homes that we saw.  The stone fences were striking.   Can you imagine living in a place like this?












Before we left, we had to stop at the Cheesecake Castle to have some of their made-from-scratch treats.


 
We had chocolate chip and raspberry lemonade cheesecake. A perfect way to end our stay at Block Island.


 
Here's a parting shot of downtown Block Island from the ferry as we were leaving. We definitely will make the effort to come back to Block Island in the future!

10 comments:

E n D said...

You guys are always doing something fun! Dave and I want to take a trip this fall and come see you and also the Iversons!

Jay and Emily said...

It looks so beautiful out there! I'm glad you guys were able to do something fun to celebrate your anniversary! Love you guys.

Jenn said...

It looks SO beautiful! I think you two are becoming the experts on all the must-see places in this area. It is great to have you as a reference! We'll definitely have to add Block Island to our list.

Thanks for taking a bit of time to stop by and see us on the tail end of your trip. It was so great to see you and be together for a few minutes. Thanks also for the fun baby gifts. Henry has already claimed them until Ellis is old enough to use them -- he insisted on playing with them in the bath today!

Kristie said...

I love how charming and beautiful it is. We will have to visit. We're officially jealous of your beach trip!

Hutchings said...

It looks like you two had so much fun! I want to go there too!

Dionne said...

That looks quaint and beautiful - sounds like a fun getaway!

We can't wait to see you guys again. Drew was talking about Aunt Amy and Aunt Dave -- he couldn't seem to change over to Uncle for that one -- sorry Dave:) At least he knows that he loves you guys!

Amy said...

What a great trip. Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun. Happy anniversary!

Prax Family said...

Ames!
I am so glad you found me! I absolutely love this blog. You are doing big and great things, (I always knew you would!) I totally remember the book you were going to write about using recycled things to help your friends, or something random like that. The first entry was to use an empty water bottle to massage your friends back by rolling it up and down! Good times, good times! I totally think we should seriously consider the Ames and James candy shop, I think that was a winner of an idea! :) I'm glad to see everythings going well with you and I'm definitely going to keep checking this blog! Blogs rock!
Jamie

Matt and Jessica said...

I met your aunt Linda this week! She's the new primary president in our ward.

Unknown said...

Hi you guys! Wow you look like you are making some amazing memories! How fun! Your pictures are beautiful! I can't believe how crazy your lives must be. It is wonderful everything that you both are doing. Keep up the hard work! Go Mr. Choules! (Your kids must just love you!)