Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning to Knit

(Amy)  Downtown Westville is really quite charming.  There is an assortment of cafes and a few antique shops that Dave and I have enjoyed visiting.  In recent weeks a store I hadn't noticed before caught my eye; the shop is simply and aptly named Yarn and is devoted to all things knitting.  The window display has an assortment of scarfs and sweaters in a delicious variety of colors; looking through that window I knew I had found another domestic art I wanted to pursue.  Last Wednesday, following a fascinating clinical experience observing an angiography at St. Raphael's cardiac catheterization lab, I was riding my bike home and decided to stop in at Yarn to see what they were all about.  After looking around the shop for a few minutes I approached the shopkeeper and explained to her that I had no knitting experience and asked her what would be a good project for a brand new beginner.  On the spot she gave me a lesson in casting on, knitting, purling, and casting off.  I bought a pair of needles and some yarn and headed home, giddy as a school girl to begin my new hobby!  Knitting has proved to be a great and relaxing diversion, I loved seeing my project take shape as I went.  I made a TON of mistakes, but I learned a lot and feel like I came a long way as I knitted my first scarf.  I finished it tonight and am pretty proud of myself.  

9 comments:

Dionne said...

Yay Amy!! We are impressed and it looks great:)

Jenn said...

I LOVE the scarf! I'm starting to foresee Amy as the next Martha Stewart.

Prax Family said...

Awesome! My first project was horrible and I didn't enjoy it at all. I am quite impressed with how cute it turned out. If my first project was cute like that I think I would have kept it up!

E n D said...

Wow, that's impressive! Your scarf turned out so cute! That's awesome that the lady in the shop gave you an on the spot lesson!

DJ said...

Way to go Amy! It is so cute.

Rachel said...

looks awesome Amy!! I'm almost done with a crochet blanket that i started "gulp" in like 2000. :) Next time I think i'll try a scarf!

JoDee said...

SO cute! You're taking on yet ANOTHER hobby? You are seriously the do-it-all girl!! Way to go.

Grannie said...

Wow I am impressed. I do not like to knit! I find it very confusing!

Lindsey said...

Go Amy! Your scarf is beautiful!