Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sew Fun

(Amy) For a Christmas/Birthday/Graduation/Everything gift, Mom and Dad Choules gave us a sewing machine! I couldn't believe it when I opened it up on Christmas morning, I'd been dreaming of learning to sew for some time. I've been taking sewing lessons at Thimbles in Woodbury, CT this month and have had so much fun. The store is absolutely adorable and so inspiring!

















My sewing instructor, Jennifer, had the patience of Job as she taught me the basics. Together we made a drawstring bag, an apron, and a skirt.
I had to finish the skirt on my own which was challenging but I'm really pleased with the outcome...



...here it is! This is Butterick's See and Sew B4710 pattern. I already have my next pattern and material picked out, I'm so thrilled to be learning how to sew!

11 comments:

Jessica said...

I love to sew too! I took a class at BYU and it was one of my favorite classes. The skirt looks amazing!!

DJ said...

Your skirt is adorable. I haven't sewn in such a long time. Remember the little outfits your mom and I made for you and Stacy? I will see if I can find a picture to send to you. What is your email address?

Jay and Emily said...

WAY CUTE! I love it Amy!

JoDee said...

Good for you Amy - you are seriously the do-it-all-girl! I still have an unfinished pieced baby quilt top I started in high school sewing and never finished. The skirt is super cute!

Jenn said...

I'm impressed, Amy! I love the skirt and am very jealous of your new talent. I look forward to seeing many more fruits of your labor :)
P.S. We miss you guys!

Paul and Shug said...

I got a sewing machine for my birthday TOO! We can be sewing friends. I have nothing but awful stubborn failure memories of previous attempts to sew, but...this'll be great I'm sure. I've got two patterns and fabric for a skirt and a dress. Wish me luck.

Lindsey said...

Amy your skirt is so cute and so you, I love it!

Marissa said...

Your skirt is so cute, I love to sew to, every chance I get.

Whitney said...

"sew" fun for you! your skirt is so cute . .isn't it fun to make your own stuff?!! i do a little sewing here and there but i'm glad to know there is a little quilt shop . .i'll have to check it out sometime! can't wait to see your next project!

Liz and Peter said...

I love your skirt! I love sewing quilts and blankets but have been so intimidated by making clothes. You've inspired me though. I'll have to try to make something soon.

Amy said...

Totaly cute! I've sewn a few outfits in the past, and always enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. But I don't think I've ever done such a cute skirt!