Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Style

We spent Friday and Saturday in New York City taking in the many Christmas decorations, eating wonderful food (Lombardi's Pizza!), and seeing some amazing performances.
The ice skating rink and Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.

I finally convinced David to go with me into the American Girl store. It was so sweet to see the little girls bringing their dolls excitedly to the store. I never had an American Girl doll but loved reading the Felicity books when I was younger, so she is my favorite.

Saint Patrick's Cathedral is just beautiful and had a wonderful feeling inside.

The nativity scene inside Saint Patrick's.

Every street is decked out with some holiday decoration of some sort, the nutcrackers on this street were a favorite of ours.

Friday afternoon we went to Radio City Music Hall to catch a showing of the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular. It was a really flashy, fun show. The Rockette's were so beautiful and the dancing was amazing. The show ended with a living nativity presentation which was very nice.

Inside Radio City Music Hall.

After the show we went to South Street Seaport and went to the Bodies Revealed exhibit, we then walked through the Financial District. The tree outside the New York Stock Exchange was beautiful. We met our great friends Robbie and Emily for pizza at Lombardi's which claims the distinction of being America's first pizzeria. It was DELICIOUS, we ate a ton. :)

Saturday started with a trip to the temple which looked lovely with wreaths decorating it.

We then went to the Metropolitan Opera House to see Il Trittico by Puccini. Our friend Tammy sings for the Met, and we loved seeing her perform. We were absolutely enthralled by the entire experience at the Met, it was so grand and beautiful. We loved it!

Outside the Opera House after the show, I couldn't stop smiling after seeing Gianni Schicchi (which O Mio Babbino Caro is from), it had us laughing so hard.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

What a fun time! You always do so many great things and I love reading about them!

Dionne said...

Sounds like a festive trip -- that's a lot packed into one trip!

Jay and Emily said...

You really did pack a lot into your trip! We really wanted to eat at Lombardi's while we were there this summer. Oh well, maybe next time. It's good to hear it was so good though You will be here sooooo soon!!! I can hardly wait.

DJ said...

I've always wanted to go to New York at Christmas time. It looks so beautiful. I love seeing all the places you visit.

Katie said...

You guys are always off on some sort of adventure. Sounds like you had a great weekend! Happy Holidays!

Tammy said...

So fun Amy. I love the pictures. I think you guys win the prize for the most "getting into the Christmas Sprit" activities in one season. And you didn't even blog about the Messiah sing-in. Impressive.