Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Gilded Age

(Amy) On Thursday Dave, Mom, Dad, and I headed to Newport, Rhode Island.  The drive up was beautiful and Newport is just gorgeous!  We first went to the Cliff Walk where Dad noticed what appeared to be a cave in the side of the cliff.  We decided to climb down to check it out.  As we were walking on some mossy rock Dave slipped and slid right into the ocean!   I slipped on the moss right after him, but luckily I was able to stop myself before I fell in the water too!  You can see in the picture that Dave's pants are soaking wet and moss-stained; I got away with only the back of my jeans being stained.  Needless to say, we looked a little ragged for our tours of the mansions the rest of the day!
We toured four mansions, which may not seem like a lot but required a ton of walking and we were pretty tired afterwards.  The mansions were amazing but we all agree with Mark Twain who was rightfully disgusted by the opulence of Newport when he said, "The golden gleam of the gilded surface hides the cheapness of the metal underneath."

The Breakers was Cornelius Vanderbilt's "Summer Cottage."  It has about 65,000 square feet of living space!

Here's the view from the back patio of the Breakers.

The Elms mansion had a breathtaking yard.  It belonged to the Berwind family who made their money in the coal industry.


Marble House was built as a 39th birthday present for William Vanderbilt's wife Alva!  She divorced Vanderbilt just 3 years later and moved to another mansion a block away with her new husband (who happened to be one of Vanderbilt's good friends).  Alva continued to use the Marble House as a closet for her massive wardrobe!
  
The view from the backyard of the Marble House, it would be so relaxing to sit out there with a good book and listen to the ocean!

Rosecliff was our last mansion tour of the day, it has a beautiful ballroom that has been used in a lot of movies including "The Great Gatsby," "True Lies," and most recently "27 Dresses."  I've never seen any of those movies but we want to rent "The Great Gatsby" and be on the lookout for the Rosecliff!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That is so cool! I didn't realize there were so many neat and beautiful mansions out there. And I think it's funny you guys fell down. I'm glad you weren't hurt but it was really funny to read about! :D

Paul and Shug said...

Have you ever read The Jungle? This makes me think of The Jungle.

Jay and Emily said...

Poor Dave!! That is a funny story though :) It looks like you guys had a ton of fun.

Marian said...

I know what you mean about the opulence. We took a tour of the Edsel Ford Mansion. It was ridiculous. They didn't have china lamps, they had lamps made of 1000-year-old Egyptian vases drilled to make a lamp. They didn't have marble fireplaces. They had fireplaces from old European castles imported with matching paneling from the same castle. At least we get to enjoy it now too!

Amy said...

Pretty amazing stuff. I guess if you live in a house that big you don't have to worry about cleaning it by yourself...

Unknown said...

Dave, I love reading about your adventures on the East Coast. You and Robbie are living it up. I can only dream of what it would be like to live there.